Selling off, #Pickup2Profit

My search for items in the giveaway section yielded another score the other afternoon. A Mantis 2-cycle tiller was given away and I managed to be first in the running, and went and picked it up. Another one hour pickup, and it was in a non-running state, unknown what the issue was. I got it home and quickly realized that it was the pull start assembly not engaging the flywheel. Pulled the assy off and noticed that it seems to be missing a part between the pull chord and the flywheel.

While unscrewing the pull start, the screws were loose so it was clear somebody had been in there. I imagine they lost the part in question and just put it away. Turned the flywheel and the motor spins nice, and it seems to have excellent compression. I could start it with a drill or something, but I figured I’d just post it for sale and see what I get.
Posted it yesterday and and today a guy contacted me. I posted it for ~$70 or best offer, and I’m prepared to accept lower. Still nice profit for a free item. I could try and locate the part missing, but again it’s hard to get parts to Norway, so I’m letting it go.

Another item that’s up for sale is the rototiller project. If I get a decent offer, I’m giving the profit towards a new or better used tiller for the garden. I pooled the motor, tiller base, pulley and boss together for ~$200 or best offer. Going to be interesting to see if someone bites on that one. The motor alone is a good piece of equipment, just needs a cleaning and lube, and of course an oil change and service. Something I could do myself, but I have a few lawnmowers I’m putting some time into and if I get them running (been outside a couple of seasons) more going out for sale.

Project, started a few weeks ago

Over a decade ago, my mother was given a rototiller from a family friend, and it was an old thing that actually required leaded fuel! It worked great the first few years, as long as we bought an addition to be mixed with the unleaded fuel.

Then, it just stopped working and the engine was nothing to save. It has been sitting for many, many years but it’s time to try and get it going again. A couple of years ago I put a lawnmower engine on it, but that was a bust. To get that to work, I would have to swap out the flywheel on the motor… If you have a look at my YouTube channel, you can see a project I did some years back, the Ariens RM lawn tractor. That machine bit the dust after staying in the weather, but the engine should be saveable.

I took the engine off both machines, and was about to swap the pulleys when I discovered the difference in axle diameter. That put the whole project on hold while I try to uncover a new or used pulley. Called around to different sellers, scrapyards, shops and private people to no real avail. The only lead was a chain of shops called TOOLS, that sells (amongst thousands of products) pulleys and bosses. Measuring, calling, re-measuring and what not the other day I finally bought a pulley and boss but man… the price was up there!

I am hoping to get going again this week on this project, but I have hurt my back pretty bad so I have to focus on my day job Mon-Fri. Hope the coming weekend is better, and that I have a possibility of working and filming the next steps.

Please have a look at the video (I’m still learning this type of filming) and comment and share with your friends. I have lot’s of video projects in mind 😉