The weather is warm, the back is … OK … and it’s time to weld! I have done some research on my machine and on welding with shielding gas and felt that today is the day 😊 I grabbed a couple of thick pieces of steel and carried all the gear outside. And one thing is obvious to me now; I need a welding cart!!!!! Carrying the welder, gas and gear out and in all the time is a pain in the a%$!
The first thing was to try the welder, and I spent 10-15 minutes playing around with settings and welding. I could get penetration, but the “seam” was tall, and if I turned the welder over 2 (of 4) on the heat, the fuze kept breaking. I need a bigger circuit as well looks like.
I measured and cut a piece of steel for the first weld and tacked it in place. Adjusted the welder and actually think I did pretty well, for a first time in 20 years.
The second piece was actually a lot better and easier, and I think it looks alright 🤔 Both surfaces are now primed with anti-rust rattle can paint and gets a black coating tomorrow or something.
If I weren’t so knackered I’d take a drive and buy the cart tonight, but I think tomorrow is better even though it’s Whit weekend. Oh, and I need to find a good supply of steel. I pay between ~$50 and ~$60 for a sheet of 1m x 1m cold rolled 1mm steel. Pricey!
I don’t have to good photos or a finished product yet, but this is a quick and simple little project. It’s a way old garden rake, made from a metal plate and some nails. The nails are welded to the plate and it’s bent around a handle. One of the nails are broken and needs replacing.
An angle grinder, a drill and a bit and the scene is set. I don’t have a nail of the same size, but a simple normal nail is to be welded in place and cut and shaped to fit. I was supposed to weld it up today, but the weather is breaking out again and I will not be outside in the rain, welding. I WANT SOME 🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞
The mower is started and has been used to cut grass 😃 It runs great and cuts perfect. The only issue has been the throttle lever that’s busted off, but here is a quick (and sort of redneck) fix of that.
A drill, a drywall screw and a piece of epoxy putty, and 24 hours of curing. Problem solved.
Here is a video of this process and below is yesterdays upload of the starting and cutting of grass. The collection is working great and now the throttle lever is fixed. I think I might have to look at the drive, as it didn’t do the job all the while cutting, but I’ll have a look.
Yesterday (Saturday) we saw a nice break in the weather (for a while) and I decided to rebuild a garden carrier that my mother uses as a trailer behind an electric scooter. I should have done a video of the whole thing, but I got so worked up that it just slipped my mind. I’m not finished with the project, so I’m grabbing the camera today because we see good weather today as well and there’s enough work left to make a video.
I snapped some pictures right as I ended yesterday, because I had to go out and buy some new parts. The image on the lower right shows the chaos that was at Biltema (Scandinavian warehouse chain) and I actually had to park the car and walk the rest of the way there! On my way back home, the weather changed and we saw some surprise showers that ended the work outside for the day.
The problem with the “trailer” was that one of the wheel guides had broken clean off and needed to be welded back together. I only have a crappy flux core welder, and haven’t welded in many years, but I actually think I got it sorted well enough. (I’m saving up for a new and eons better welder, with shielding gas!)
I invested in a new welding helmet that has auto dark. All I’ve ever used prior is that type that’s always dark and you have to lift to see anything when not welding. I think it cost something like ~$45 (450NOK) and I a so pleased!! It did the job excellent and is now my go-to helmet.
Todays todo list is: New tires, handle swap and misc straightening. It’s Sunday so I don’t start until after 12:00, just because I have to make some noise doing this.