The weather is warm, the back is … OK … and it’s time to weld! I have done some research on my machine and on welding with shielding gas and felt that today is the day 😊 I grabbed a couple of thick pieces of steel and carried all the gear outside. And one thing is obvious to me now; I need a welding cart!!!!! Carrying the welder, gas and gear out and in all the time is a pain in the a%$!
The first thing was to try the welder, and I spent 10-15 minutes playing around with settings and welding. I could get penetration, but the “seam” was tall, and if I turned the welder over 2 (of 4) on the heat, the fuze kept breaking. I need a bigger circuit as well looks like.
I measured and cut a piece of steel for the first weld and tacked it in place. Adjusted the welder and actually think I did pretty well, for a first time in 20 years.
The second piece was actually a lot better and easier, and I think it looks alright 🤔 Both surfaces are now primed with anti-rust rattle can paint and gets a black coating tomorrow or something.
If I weren’t so knackered I’d take a drive and buy the cart tonight, but I think tomorrow is better even though it’s Whit weekend. Oh, and I need to find a good supply of steel. I pay between ~$50 and ~$60 for a sheet of 1m x 1m cold rolled 1mm steel. Pricey!
The mower is started and has been used to cut grass 😃 It runs great and cuts perfect. The only issue has been the throttle lever that’s busted off, but here is a quick (and sort of redneck) fix of that.
A drill, a drywall screw and a piece of epoxy putty, and 24 hours of curing. Problem solved.
Here is a video of this process and below is yesterdays upload of the starting and cutting of grass. The collection is working great and now the throttle lever is fixed. I think I might have to look at the drive, as it didn’t do the job all the while cutting, but I’ll have a look.
Today is a quiet day, normally, and I am not playing with any motorized equipment. Had to do something though, so decided to assemble a work table I bought the other day. It’s one of those simple and small, raise/lower (manually), tables that has room for tools.
15 minutes and the thing was together, didn’t even need the guide 👅 One of our neighbors decided to start the chainsaw and do some yard work, and I figured what the heck.. I’ll pull on the recently added mower! I pulled twice to see that it turned and had compression and then primed the carb like 4 times. Two more pulls and the thing fired right up 🔥 Ran impressively clean and silent and the self propelling worked like a charm. All that’s really wrong is the gas lever is broken, but I have a quick fix for that in mind (video coming real soon).
Once I’ve cleaned out the grass and dirt that was in the mower and collector, and given it a nice power wash; I’ll list it for sale at like ~$110 or so and accept a tad lower if offered 💵
OK, now I’ve gone and done it….. For years (ever since I was in school) I have made due with a simple flux core welder. It has been a pain in almost every way I’ve used it, but I just haven’t taken the plunge and bought a real welder. The bottom line has been gas (Argon) because the “bottles” have been crazy expensive.
A couple of weeks back, I found that a local warehouse (Jula) sells gas in a bottle they call Mini Bertha! 300bar 2500 liters of gas, and a bottle you own. All for the semi-nice price of ~$550 and when empty you exchange the whole thing for ~$100. That is a whole lot cheaper than the other places you get gas here. There you most of the time have to rent the bottles and keep up payments.
Now, I’m the proud owner of an ESAB Origo C141 MIG welder and a Mini Bertha with 2500+ liters of gas. That should hold me for a good while 😃
Next thing in that area now, is finding a supply of steel. I have a store that sells to private people, but I bought a sheet (1meter x 1meter) and it was ~$50! Along came some off-cut pieces I plan to use in installations I make (hobby) and some pieces were big enough to be used to fix other stuff. I have a lawnmower that needs a plate welded to it.
Under, you can view the video I made while rebuilding the garden trailer for my mother. I forgot to film the start of the project, which included the pain that was welding the mount.
This is a new (to me) way of filming and I am still learning the ropes. I promise to try my best at getting better, and I would very much like for you to visit my channel and get in on commenting, liking (or disliking) and of course subscribing to my uploads.