I was complaining earlier about it being a bit cold to stand and work/weld outside, but now it’s just the opposite.. Today it’s in the high 20’s maybe over 30 in the sun (degrees C), and I haven’t done much of anything outside. I wanted to locate my big vice and set it up on my table, and did so this morning (before the sun was all out blazing). Got my tools together and placed/drilled the holes, taking care to include the metal plate under the vice to ground it, but wouldn’t you know… I was all out of the right size bolts to fasten it correctly 😢
I am a wheeler dealer, and when ever I can make a few bucks, I take it. I found a listing for 4 boxes of DVDs and was lucky enough to be first in line. Wasn’t more than a few kilometers from me, so easy going. Picked them up and selected between 80-100 movies and series (including a complete set of unopened Red Dwarf) and put the remaining 112 DVDs up for sale. I’m not asking much, as it’s a huge variety of titles, from thrillers, comedy, slapstick, action. Both movies and series.
Tomorrow is work again, and I have a doctors appointment in the early afternoon. Getting better for every week that goes by 😃 😀
I visited a used & antiques store on Saturday, picking up a variety of materials and tool for a very cheap price. It’s not tools I’m going to use, but it’s for art and sculpting. I have a boatload of ideas, but need the welder to do 99% of them. Hopefully it’s not direct sun on my work space in the afternoon, after my day job. Pictures to come 😉
The weather is warm, the back is … OK … and it’s time to weld! I have done some research on my machine and on welding with shielding gas and felt that today is the day 😊 I grabbed a couple of thick pieces of steel and carried all the gear outside. And one thing is obvious to me now; I need a welding cart!!!!! Carrying the welder, gas and gear out and in all the time is a pain in the a%$!
The first thing was to try the welder, and I spent 10-15 minutes playing around with settings and welding. I could get penetration, but the “seam” was tall, and if I turned the welder over 2 (of 4) on the heat, the fuze kept breaking. I need a bigger circuit as well looks like.
I measured and cut a piece of steel for the first weld and tacked it in place. Adjusted the welder and actually think I did pretty well, for a first time in 20 years.
The second piece was actually a lot better and easier, and I think it looks alright 🤔 Both surfaces are now primed with anti-rust rattle can paint and gets a black coating tomorrow or something.
If I weren’t so knackered I’d take a drive and buy the cart tonight, but I think tomorrow is better even though it’s Whit weekend. Oh, and I need to find a good supply of steel. I pay between ~$50 and ~$60 for a sheet of 1m x 1m cold rolled 1mm steel. Pricey!
I don’t have to good photos or a finished product yet, but this is a quick and simple little project. It’s a way old garden rake, made from a metal plate and some nails. The nails are welded to the plate and it’s bent around a handle. One of the nails are broken and needs replacing.
An angle grinder, a drill and a bit and the scene is set. I don’t have a nail of the same size, but a simple normal nail is to be welded in place and cut and shaped to fit. I was supposed to weld it up today, but the weather is breaking out again and I will not be outside in the rain, welding. I WANT SOME 🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞🌞
The mower is started and has been used to cut grass 😃 It runs great and cuts perfect. The only issue has been the throttle lever that’s busted off, but here is a quick (and sort of redneck) fix of that.
A drill, a drywall screw and a piece of epoxy putty, and 24 hours of curing. Problem solved.
Here is a video of this process and below is yesterdays upload of the starting and cutting of grass. The collection is working great and now the throttle lever is fixed. I think I might have to look at the drive, as it didn’t do the job all the while cutting, but I’ll have a look.
Today is a quiet day, normally, and I am not playing with any motorized equipment. Had to do something though, so decided to assemble a work table I bought the other day. It’s one of those simple and small, raise/lower (manually), tables that has room for tools.
15 minutes and the thing was together, didn’t even need the guide 👅 One of our neighbors decided to start the chainsaw and do some yard work, and I figured what the heck.. I’ll pull on the recently added mower! I pulled twice to see that it turned and had compression and then primed the carb like 4 times. Two more pulls and the thing fired right up 🔥 Ran impressively clean and silent and the self propelling worked like a charm. All that’s really wrong is the gas lever is broken, but I have a quick fix for that in mind (video coming real soon).
Once I’ve cleaned out the grass and dirt that was in the mower and collector, and given it a nice power wash; I’ll list it for sale at like ~$110 or so and accept a tad lower if offered 💵